What is black mold?

Molds are, simply put, kinds of microscopic fungi. They grow in numerous places, are diverse, and are even used by humans for different purposes. Some forms of mold are used for medicine (such as penicillin), and food (cheese, bread, etc.). Other molds are used for what they produce, such as Aspergillus niger and its production of enzymes and compounds such as gluconic acid and citric acid.

However, some mold can prove to be dangerous to humans. Black mold, scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum or Stachybotrys atra, produces mycotoxins. The word comes from a mix of the Greek mykes for fungus, and Latin toxicum for poison. One such mycotoxin produced by black mold is satratoxin-H, which can lead to the medical condition known as Stachybotrotoxicosis.


Human exposure to black mold can lead to a variety of symptoms, although they are not necessarily the same from one case to the next, and may vary based upon factors such as amount of mold spores taken into the body, the exposure time length, and others. Certain possibilities for symptoms may include:

Allergic reaction
Chronic cough
Chronic fatigue
Chronic headaches
Eye irritation
Lung and nose bleeds
Oral mucous membrane irriation
Nasal mucous membrane irritation
Uncontrollable bowel movements


Those who find black mold may wish to have a method for clean up. Toxic black mold removal can at times be accomplished in different ways. If there is a problem with moisture in the area, removing the source of moisture (such as water) may be the first step. If the cause of moisture is not found and resolved, then the fungus may grow back even after the removal process has taken place.

Since black mold is hazardous, its removal may be best suited to be done by professionals in the industry. With the proper equipment and suits, as well as information on identification, they may be prepared to deal with the mold in a way that the house or property owner isn't.

Copyright 2009-2015 Mijiki.com -- Terms and Conditions || Privacy Policy